FREE !!!! Singaround at The Ivy House on SUNDAY 8 AUGUST!!!! 7pm!
Crikey, doesn’t it seem a long time ….. I have shamelessly copied and pasted the following from our latest newsletter which went out last night (2 August) so if you have already read it, apologies!
We are delighted to say that we are holding our next Singaround in The Ivy House ballroom THIS SUNDAY 8 August!
As it is so long since we were last there, and obviously there will be a few Covid-related changes, we are testing the water to see how things go, and therefore we have decided to make this one FREE!
The basic format of the Singaround will stay the same as it was before – sign up when you arrive if you would like to sing; first to sign up first to sing; anything goes (within reason, lol); all languages welcome; listeners welcome; if you become suddenly bold during the course of the evening you can sign up to sing at any point; duos and trios count as one turn but can also sing a solo song each; one song each per round then we start again!
The door will open at 7pm (though we will play this by ear, no pun intended). Singing will start at 7.15pm prompt and finish by 10pm at the latest, depending on the number of singers. Please note that that is earlier than before as the pub is presently closing at 10pm on Sundays.
Please also note that the kitchen closes at 6pm on Sundays, so if you want to eat you will need to get to The Ivy House well before the start of the Singaround.
If you haven’t been before, you can find more info here (though be aware that given the current circumstances, some of that info may now be superseded by what is outlined below) :
COVID SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
The Ivy House has its own Covid precautions, which are included below, but we have added some others.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING VERY CAREFULLY!
* We will be asking you to show proof at the door that either you have been double jabbed or that you are exempt. Sorry, but we will make no exceptions to this, so please don’t forget your proof! We are really sorry that this will mean excluding some younger people who have not yet been offered the vaccine, but we hope that you will be able to come to later Singarounds this year.
* Even if you have been fully vaccinated, please do not come to the Singaround if you feel unwell, think you may have been exposed to infection, or have any symptoms which could be Covid-related (there are many more than the fever/cough/loss of taste or smell which the government is still trotting out …..)
* Please bring a mask, and wear it at all times when you are moving about the room or the pub. The Ivy House is encouraging people to wear masks but not enforcing it (though their staff will be wearing masks), but we will not allow people into the Singaround without one, unless you can show us proof that you are exempt.
* The room will be laid out differently from before. We think it is better, but we are not sure how it will work with social distancing. The tables themselves will be socially distanced, but not the seats at the tables. We will need to see how this works on the night, and whether we need to ask people to wear masks when seated (hopefully not, and obviously not when they are singing!!)
* The Ivy House asks that once in the pub, people remain at their table unless going to the loo or leaving. We realise that this will be very difficult when you see people you haven’t seen for ages and want to talk to them, but we would ask you to respect this request and understand the reason for it.
* You will be able to order drinks from your table. They will be brought to you and you won’t have to go to the bar. Please support The Ivy House by buying drinks! Like all pubs, it has had a very hard time financially, and we would hate to see London’s first community-owned pub go under, quite apart from losing our venue!
* We think singing should be safe provided the singer/s are at a reasonable distance from others, but again, we will need to see how this works on the night. If anybody feels unsafe during the Singaround, please tell us and we will do our best to put things right.
* We will keep doors open, however we may need to assess how this works if there is a lot of noise from the rest of the pub.
* The Ivy House staff are being offered regular lateral flow tests.
* The Ivy House is deep cleaning the building regularly, and will continue to use contact cleaning solutions which reduce the risk of contact infections.
* There will be sanitising units for you to use.
* We will be selling the August/September issue of Folk London. It is £2 a copy. If you would like one, please bring the correct money in cash, as we will not be giving change (sorry, we don’t have a card reader).
* We know this will be very disappointing and is the only reason some of you come (joke) but for Covid safety reasons we won’t be having a raffle at any of our events for the foreseeable future.
* As some consolation, however, we will be giving away back copies of Folk London, courtesy of James Eagle the editor, who many of you will know as he is often on the door at our Singarounds. Thanks James! Please play fair and leave some for others!
These are strange times for us all, and we are sure we haven’t thought of everything.
We would welcome your feedback either before or after the Singaround (preferably not during unless it’s urgent!) as to how we can do things better.
Hey! We are back at The Ivy House!! Hooray!!!